Tuesday 26 April 2011

River Hodder

My first visit to the Hodder this season and it didn't disappoint. As usual for this time of year the river was teaming with life and the fish were rising confidently in some pools and appeared to be taking aphids, olives and even the odd Brook dun that was hatching off. Most of the fish taken were small trout but there were the odd bigger fish or two lurking in the slate channels. Bright sunlight at times made the fish easy to see in the clear water and despite this some careful wadding managed to get us very close to the rising fish upstream. The Lancashire public were out in force however, kids dogs and all, and at times I did have to stop myself turning into the grumpy old angler with retorts such as, "Do you you know how much I pay to fish here?!!", etc.

 My best and only Grayling for the day.

 The fish seemed to be taking Aphids but we struggled to replicate them with our flies.

The odd Brook Dun, (I think that's what it is anyway).

1 comment:

  1. Way to stay positive and not let the kids being kids ruin the fishing experience for you. Nice Grayling, and Great Pics. Sounds like a good time, nice job!

    ReplyDelete